Commissioner Barney Trujillo, District I
Commissioner Barney Trujillo is originally from Chimayo, NM and became Commissioner of District 1 in 2010. Commissioner Trujillo has more than 12 years of experience in state government and has actively taken part in projects involving oil and gas, commercial development, renewable energy, and agriculture. Other professional experience includes budget management for the State Land Office and securing funding for special needs projects with the Legislature and Congress. He has served on the Legislative Council Service (1998-1999) and worked in the State Land Office (2000-2010).
Commissioner Trujillo has been active in grazing, ranching and farming, which allows him to understand the needs of this agricultural county. His interests also include zoning and land use; Oil and Gas (revenue generation and reclamation); and Public Relations and Marketing work on major Economic Development projects.
- Water rights protection.
- Maximize revenues derived from energy production and realistically manage our transition from oil and gas to solar and wind energy production.
- Improving education and job training.
- Ensure development of an affordable and coordinated health care system for Rio Arriba County.
- Promote economic Development.
- Support trash and waste removal and recycling efforts.
- Correct imbalances in distribution of public services such as youth and senior centers.
- Improve road maintenance.
Memberships and activities include:
- The Chimayo Chile Farmers
- Rio Arriba County Roads Committee
- The New Mexico Acequia Association
- EVCA and Chimayo Elementary Basketball Coach
- Hermano, en La Union Protectiva de Santa Fe
- St Michael's High School
- UNM- Multimedia Development Training
- New Horizons Learning Center- Multimedia Development Training
- Santa Fe Community College- Principles of Real-Estate/Real-Estate Law